Friday, November 13, 2009

Welcome home

Have you met my friend Kelley? You really, really should. Kelley is living in Africa (Bujumbura, Burundi, to be specific) with her family. She's working to bring justice, dignity, and resources to our friends of the Batwa tribe.

Some of the best things about Kelley are:
  • She has a personal philosophy that no one should ever cry alone in her presence. She is one of the most comforting people I have ever met.
  • She is an amazing cook, and I'm sure that all her pent-up cooking desires are going to result in some delectable dishes once her kitchen hiatus is over
  • She gave a talk last year in which she said that "love is blooming bright and wild". I have listened to that talk on my iPod countless times now, and that phrase always makes me a little teary with the deep, trusting, gut-level hope it tells of.
  • She has a passionate love affair with almond M&Ms
  • She is hands-down one of the bravest people I have ever met. Being brave in a way that is so much harder and deeper than being the first to jump from the heights into the water, or the one to be adventurous. Kelley's brand of bravery is so much more quiet and unyielding and stubborn than that.
  • She is sort of in love with Sting.

Kelley just got back onto U.S. soil for a few weeks and I get to see her. And I can't wait. Welcome back, Kelley. We've really missed you.



Kelley strikes a pose with The Mister at the Obama-Rama election night party
Tweet It! Facebook

3 comments:

  1. I am blushing over here...you are too kind! And the bravery is an embellishment... you know. But I feel like you - I cannot wait to be with you and enjoy a lavish amount of time talking, laughing and eating together!!!!! I miss you (and The Mister) very much - I am on my way, baby!

    P.S. yes, I do love Sting. I plan to get his latest release, a winter-themed collection, while stateside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute - and so fitting, as per your usual. You've summed her character up so well. I've only spent a short time with Kelley, but she is one very special person. Her spirit shines through - nay, it glows! Love you too, Kelley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have said it any better, Sarah!

    I'm so thankful that God puts special friends in our lives...sometimes for a season and sometimes for much longer...and Kelley has been/is/and will be a treasured gift in mine!

    ...And...without Kelley in my life, I would never have met YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?