Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Doable To-Do List


My friend Tasia has pretty black hair and an awesome nose ring (that I'm totally jealous of) and formidable Catchphrase skills. She also has a blog, and is doing National Blog Posting Month (like I am) where she posts every day in November. Yesterday she posted about how she always makes crazy ambitious to-do lists and then never gets the satisfaction of crossing anything off. She said from now on her to-do lists are going to look like this:

"wipe butt"
(*side note* Tasia has three young children. What's that you say? That would that have been good to know before you read that? Oh, all in good fun)

"step on cheerio"
"trip on toy"


and so on.

I like the idea. Although I do not have children as an excuse, I am a habitual to-do list starter and also a habitual to-do list ignorer (seriously my fail rate hovers dangerously near 100%). But I like her attitude. Why not create a list that I know I'll be able to cross off at the end of the day? (I'll do it with a flourish, and I'll tell everyone in earshot that I had a productive day. And I'll say it a little smugly too). Today, November 12, 2009, I pledge to:
  1. Get out of bed no more than 10 minutes after I said I would.
  2. Let my tea get cold before I finish drinking it.
  3. Put my cell phone on vibrate so it doesn't bother my coworkers.
  4. Be unselfish (see above).
  5. Update blog with random musings that aren't even original since I totally copied the idea from Tasia.
  6. Pretend it's a rainy day.
  7. Snuggle with The Mister.
  8. Take Vitamin C. (bonus points for being healthy!)
  9. Eat brownie right out of the pan
  10. Apply chapstick.
What would your doable to-do list look like?
Tweet It! Facebook

7 comments:

  1. Did you complete your list!? Doesn't it feel good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your (and Tasia's) idea for a to-do list. When I was in OKC, the hotel note pad in the room said:
    "ACCOMPLISHED LIST
    Much more gratifying than a to-do list, don't you think?"
    My sister agreed this was a better, more positive, approach to the to-do list. If you can't cross it off completely, at least you can note what you did do. You didn't finish that afghan, but you completed ten rows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelley's doable list... because she is stateside now(!):
    1. Take a HOT SHOWER.
    2. Have some tortilla chips (salsa is optional).
    3. Grab a diet coke.
    4. Walk barefoot on the wall to wall carpet
    5. Turn ceiling fan on (or off)
    6. Go to the store and speak to someone IN ENGLISH!
    7. Go to Starbucks for a Vanilla Rooibos Latte
    8. Wear heels outside (and bonus points when you don't trip!)
    9. Have a second diet coke.
    10. Miss Claude - and Justin & Emma.

    I can totally do this list here... only #10 hurts a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tasia - I do believe I crossed EVERYTHING off! Now I can go be snobby to those disorganized people who don't even have to-do lists. What are they doing with their lives! They should be productive like me!

    @Andrea - an accomplished list - LOVE it!

    @Kelley - happy happy joy joy! You are BACK! I have missed you, my friend. Email me and let me know what phone number I can reach you on? Just to say a quick hello and hear your voice. And let me know if there's anything I can bring you from AZ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At work I tend to start a to-do list part way through the day, and I'll include the things I've already done that morning so I get the satisfaction of being able to cross something off right away. It can be really demoralizing to look at a full, un-crossed list, so this way I already feel partway accomplished which motivates me to keep going (usually, ha)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophia - that is one of my favorite tricks!

    P.S. When are you going to start blogging again? Or have you already and I just have an old URL? I loved following your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the "Sophia's Monde" is from when I was living in France. I haven't blogged since I moved back to the US.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?