Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How to eat a Spanish churro

  A lot of people get pretty confused over Spanish cuisine.  "Ah!" they exclaim, "you're in Spain? They must have the best burritos ever."

No.

Mexican food and Spanish food have about as much in common as Korean food and Ugandan food. Which is to say, nothing at all.

Except this one thing:

Churros. Sticks of light dough, fried golden brown and crispy.

Dang these suckers are good.  If they had to pick one food to duplicate across the ocean, I am not fussed at all that they went with the churros.  Mexican churros are often dusted with sugar and sometimes cinnamon too.  Spanish churros are served with dipping chocolate.

You eat them like this:

Step 1: Admire the churros.

Santiago de Compostela-001.jpg

Step 2: Admire the chocolate. 

Step 3: Dunk.

Santiago de Compostela-007.jpg

Step 4: Repeat as necessary. 
Tweet It! Facebook

9 comments:

  1. Oooh. Tell Becca and Bradley to take note - I WILL be trying these when we visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAAAAAAAAAIT A SECOND!
    You don't like chocolate.

    ::hands on hips with an expectant look of surprise::

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a Blue-Kneed Yorkshireman, a Sunday morning breakfast of churros is the closest you can get to a decent full-English. If eaten correctly about the same amount of saturated fat aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie - I passed it along :)

    AdamBam - how right you are, sir. I was THISCLOSE to adding a bit on "if you're a freak like me and don't really dig chocolate, eating them plain is perfection indeed" but I didn't want to rain on their parade. I realize I'm in the small minority here, and I have to step lightly lest I be tarred and feathered one of these days. These chocolate fans are fierce.

    Tumbit - I LOVE me some full English breakfasts! Something about beans for breakfast really gets me going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it makes you feel any better, I never saw a burrito in Mexico either. Definitely not by that name. I'm a fan of churros of any style. I visited Spain in the summer, so I'm pretty sure I looked ridiculous with my churros and chocolate in the heat of summer. But it was worth it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The crispy, fried pig blood is just the thing to kick-start a hangover cure, Katie. Especially when you have had too many chupitos the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm... I love churros!! and miss them, a lot! They remind me of my nights out in Madrid, leaving the club at 7am and heading having churros with chocolate for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. churros dipped in a mixture of aioli, ketchup, guacamole, and salsa mixed 1/4 each part respectively is actually nicer than it looks - and sounds.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?