Monday, April 4, 2011

Santiago de Compostela

We had a fantastic weekend celebrating our anniversary and The Mister's birthday.  We headed to Santiago de Compostela, in the northwest corner of Spain, for a relaxing weekend.

They're known for making some of the best octopus around, so we played along.  We've had octopus, but it's been here in Andalucia where the fried kind is popular, so of course it's good.  You can fry practically anything and it's got a 93% chance of being delicious.  Unfortunately we ended up preferring the fried version, because the fatty, almost jello-y texture on a few of these pieces got a little intense, and we ended up stuffing a few pieces in our napkins so the waiter wouldn't get offended that we weren't exactly swooning over their signature dish.


Santiago de Compostela-027.jpg

Overall though, a fabulous time and a fabulous birthday.  We wandered around parks, took naps on the grass, had leisurely lunches with good wine, and slept in late.  I was with my favorite person in the world, and the spring daffodils are blooming in Spain.

Not too shabby overall.

Santiago de Compostela-022.jpg
Tweet It! Facebook

5 comments:

  1. When I was in Galicia, I used my fork to seperate the outer part of the slices from the inner part. The outer part was the nasty slimy bit... the inside part was good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's brilliant! You're right, the inside part is fine, and the overall flavor is very good, it's just that fatty, jelly-ish part that's got me running for the hills

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go to Santiago this summer... I heard food and beer is so inexpensive in Galicia! But I'm not a big octopus fan neither...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Katherina - depends on where you're coming from! Things are pretty cheap here in the south, so for us the prices there were definitely more expensive than they are here!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?