Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Blank Page


I love to write. Some people express themselves through painting, or cooking, or music or photography. My preferred medium is words. It doesn't mean that my words always sound good, but just that I like arranging them. From the time I was young I was fascinated with language - the living, breathing nature of it, the barely restrained possibility in endless combinations of letters and spaces and sounds. String them together in just the right way and a sentence unfolds perfectly, like a morning glory on a dewy June dawn. Miss a few, and the beauty is somehow slightly off kilter, the secret ingredients missing, even if only the author every really senses it.

Sometimes this ingrained desire to write feels like a blessing - usually when the words come easily, and I get lost in the beauty of the rhythms of sound and thought and language.
And sometimes, it feels like a cross to bear. These are usually the days when I have something I want to write, need to write, and all I end up doing is staring listlessly at a blank page, wondering where and how to start.

On these days, I just wish I were a really good cook.


Anyway, I need to come up with another article for Got2BGreen.com - an article about green living. And I can't think of anything at all.

So - I need you! Thoughts? Suggestions? Please? What green topic would YOU like to read about?
Tweet It! Facebook

4 comments:

  1. First, regarding the urge to write and the blank page, you need to read The War of Art. Go to the library and get it!!!

    Second, thoughts on Green Topics. Green topics for the reader - specially the reader who likes to compile a personal reference library. Library, used books or book exchanges? Are there any hidden environmental concerns related to electronic readers like the Kindle? Should readers who need to own books be committed to planting trees - or donating to organizations that do to supplement their paper consumption?

    As we get ready for the holiday season and massive amounts of traveling... how do we travel green? Actual modes of travel are un-green (jet fuel and fumes, oil for cars, etc.). But what about how we travel /what we take? Tons of small plastic bottles, plastic bags, disposable face clothes, etc... Is there a way to at least pack 'green' while traveling this holiday season?

    What about gift wrapping and holiday decorations - how can we be green as we deck the halls and engage in gift giving?

    Those are my ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was listening to NPR and they did a segment on a school back east that recently went green in their library...no more books. Is that going too far? There was a huge debate. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the school, but it was interesting and it goes with one of the ideas from the first commenter. Although, personally I would like some green suggestions for the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the thought of traveling green, I went to our customer's website because they have a whole section on green transportation. It's rather technical, but as he explained yesterday, they are on the leading edge of this twist to the industry. In only a few years, the government will be imposing standards that all companies will have to transport goods in this manner. If you want to read more, go to: http://legendtransportationgroup.com/greentrans.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks fro all your suggestions! i think the idea of writing tips on how to travel "green" is a great one - I'll hope on it.

    Kelley...The War of Art is on hold for me at the library right now! Great minds...

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?