Friday, November 6, 2009

Missy, How We Love Thee

When I first heard that Pioneer Woman was coming to town, I knew the stars were aligning. The Mister looked at me with apprehension in his eyes: "please please don't make me go and be the only man". (It ended up being a good thing he didn't come, because I'm pretty sure the words "dutch oven" were uttered during the course of the night - hey, she's a cooking blogger - and I don't know that he would have survived that).

But I was in luck! The lovely Tara is a huge fan - PW's posting on how to chop an onion basically changed both our lives - and Operation: Picture with Pioneer Woman was greenlit.

So we get there and it's a packed house. I mean PACKED. There was enough estrogen in the place to fell a horse (mixed metaphors? don't mind if I do!). P-Dub has some serious fangirls in Phoenix.

So we listen to the Q&A and she was basically exactly as funny and cool and Southern as you'd expect her to be. And then she starts signing books, and books, and books, and more books, and more books, and MORE books. Before we know it we've been waiting practically 3 hours and we're really nowhere near getting up there.

So, we put a plan in action. All we really wanted was a picture - we could take it or leave it on the signed book. Just a picture is all. We're low-maintenance like that.

So the famous sister-in-law Missy was with PW. We were chatting with her earlier and she gave us an exclusive on a top-secret cooking tip (will include in future post - must keep you hanging a little longer).

So Tara and I come up with this mischievous little plan that we will stand a little apart with Pioneer Woman between us in the background, and ask Missy to take this slightly harebrained picture. We figure she will think it's funny, because it sort of is, you know?

Anyway, so when we tell Missy the plan we've hatched, she says in her southern drawl "oh you girls just get ready, just run right up there and smile - I'll make Ree smile, and you can get your picture real fast". So on her "go!", we ran up like banshees, cut in front of the whole stunned line and snapped our treasured pic, laughing the whole time.

And that is how we became BFFs with Missy the sister-in-law.
Tweet It! Facebook

3 comments:

  1. No Way! You and Ree... I love it! (Personally, I would have not left without the book, but I'm crazy that way!) Wish I could have been there with you. I still visit her sight few times a week to savor the memories of cooking in America...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing me that onion cutting tip. I'd never seen that before, and I'm sure it will make a huge difference in my life. I have to bookmark that blog too - might inspire me to cook a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should note that the book itself was procured - it's just destined forever to be a plain boring, unsigned version :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?