Thursday, September 9, 2010

Packing removes all the personality from a space - or does it?

  

Before

Packing things in preparation for a long-term move is a strange thing. While theoretically I know that my car, my apartment, my desk at work are all identical twins of a thousand other copies, sentimentally they feel unique and MINE.

You know that old musing "If only these walls could talk..."?  I've been wondering lately what mine would say.  Even if the furniture was cleared out (it is) and the pictures and curtains unhung from the walls (they are), I wonder how much of a person's intangibles remain.

I'm not getting all new-agey on you here, it isn't that I think that something actually happens, but sometimes you walk into a house and you just know that the people there are unhappy or depressed or lonely or joyful or happy.

You just know it.

I think my apartment walls would say "Sarah you really need to work on your laundry skills, because we notice that you never seem to take that last load of laundry out of the washer and you are always having to re-run the cycle because it gets mildewy.  Seriously, all the time.  Set a text message reminder or something, okay?"

I think my car walls would say "Stop being a cheapskate and get me in a GARAGE, for heaven's sake. STAT!"

And my cube walls: "Let's drink coffee."

What would yours say?

After
Tweet It! Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Your apartment, your cubicle, and your car would all be crying - they will miss you, as will I.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?