Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I could take a nap right here in this park in fact.


So you know how when people hear "Spain" they usually think of bullfights, flamenco, and siestas?

Well I'll have to report back on the others, but let me tell you, siesta is a force of nature here.  A force of nature.

Here is what I mean:  the first days we were here, we walked around calling people's numbers listed on "for rent" signs taped to apartment windows.  No one answered from 2-5. Oops. Siesta.

Next few days we were here: needed to go to the bank. In the afternoon. Nope. Siesta.

Again: Needed to stand in line at the consulate line for our resident alien papers.  Uh uh. Siesta.

Today: need another copy of the apartment gate key. I think not until later, señorita.  Es la siesta.

I've heard people scoff that the notion of the Spanish siesta, like British tea time or American Sunday brunch, is a romantic old-fashioned tradition that petered out of daily practice in the last generation.

Well, I defy those people to get their little prophesying fannies to Spain and try to run errands between 2-5.

And while they do that, I shall be taking a nap.

After all - it is siesta!
Tweet It! Facebook

6 comments:

  1. Now I want a siesta, too! I love that idea... as long as I am part of the napping crowd. Same dynamic in Burundi, but they just called it lunch. It lasted for about 3 hours... frustrating if you want to get any errands done in the afternoon. Guess you learn to get that all done in the morning so you, too, can siesta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Napping in the afternoon is a great idea. That way, you can stay up late and not feel sleep-deprived. Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky...here in Bilbao it seems that the siesta is near non-existent. I love those 3 hrs of doing nothing but relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am going to adopt that tradition, sounds delightful. If anyone complains I will just tell them I am following Sarah's tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I miss you!!! Am I anonymous? I don't want to be! It's Leanne! Ijust LOVED the comments about the siesta and the bus map! When I worked with the Spanish, about 4,523 years ago, I had the same thing! No calling the Madrid sales office form 2-5 pm, Nobody! Nadie! Personne! (as they say in French). Kind of sounds like a false friend, huh? Person for no one. Whatever. I miss you sooo much! But your new life sounds so much more exciting than anything you may have done recently. Is there still room in Europe for one more? See you THERE in January!!! Keep up the blog .. I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?