Monday, June 27, 2011

A toast for San Juan

San Juan-046.jpg

Over the weekend Málaga celebrated La Noche de San Juan. This is a night where Spain celebrates the blameless life of a saint by making bonfires on the beach and drinking lots of beer. It's kind of a head scratcher when you really think about it, but why spend time thinking about it when you could be having fun on the beach?

It was fun though.  The beach was packed with picnicking families and and the air was thick with sea mist and smoke from barbecues. It looked and smelled like the Fourth of July. There was a concert, and a few fireworks went off helter-skelter at irregular intervals, and a fun night was had by all.

San Juan-025.jpg

I'm including this shot because I think it's cool.  Somebody on a nearby blanket had this bright green laser beam, and you could see the whole length of the light really clearly because it was reflecting off the heavy fog. It's not really in focus, but hey, we've got to pick our battles, right?

San Juan-049.jpg





Tweet It! Facebook

6 comments:

  1. I love Noche se San Juan... is one of the things I really miss of living in Spain next to the ocean... its such a romantic night. I used to spend the night at the beach, next to a fire, with people playing the guitar, having a beer... dancing and making wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to be creepy or anything, but I was at that exact same beach for San Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Katherina - that describes it exactly!

    @Jacqui - no way! have we met before?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No we haven't met, but it's been my secret hope to randomly run into you while I'm here in Spain. I love your blog that much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny, Jacqui! If we weren't getting ready to leave town for the month in just a few days, I'd say we should meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ¡Que fuerte! It just so happenes I only have a little over a week left in Spain anyways and then I'm off to travel for three weeks as well. Where will you be going for a month?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?