Thursday, June 23, 2011

Monochrome London

I've got a few more London photos to share.  This first one is a quirk about London that I love - since they drive on the opposite (i.e. left) side of the road there, visitors to the city are in almost constant danger of getting flattened by a double-decker bus while trying to cross the street.  So the ever-polite British have painted little cues on the street to advise confused pedestrians where to look.  

It's actually quite brilliant, and probably saved my life about three times.

London-133.jpg


The next couple are taken just across the street from Buckingham Palace. We had off-and-on rainy weather the whole time we were there, but on this afternoon the skies opened up and it absolutely poured.  



London-048.jpg



London-051.jpg

The good news is that being out in the chilly wet weather got us all in the mood for some good soup...enter pho.  Have you ever had Vietnamese food? I hadn't, and wow, I was missing out.  My friend Kristin found us this great little Vietnamese place that put its heart and soul into making the best steamy bowls of beef pho (Vietnamese for "soup") in London, or close enough anyway.  See the smile on her face? I bet pho put it there.

London-053.jpg
Tweet It! Facebook

9 comments:

  1. Those second and third images are pure art! I would have them on my walls asap. Gorgeous captures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this signs in London. I probably would have gotten run over if it hadn't been for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, I found your blog through the travel memoir writers group and am lovin' it! These photos are gorgeous. And I just about freaked out seeing that London has a chipotle now -- that certainly wasn't there 18 months ago when we left. Yum yum. I look forward to checking in with your blog in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! And thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least the lovely Council in London provide useful pointers for the benefit of foreign tourists. Even after 8 years in Spain I still look both ways when crossing a one-way street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tumbit - I know, aren't they useful. I was pretty grateful for them. These Brits, they've cornered the market on polite.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?