Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A bocadillo in tin foil, please

untitled shoot-011.jpg


In Spain, the bocadillo (sandwich) is king.  And it is always, always, always wrapped in tin foil. Not sandwich bags. Not tupperware containers. Tin foil.

I guess it's just one of those cultural things that you notice when it's not your culture.

I mentioned this to a couple of Spaniard friends and they looked at me blankly and said, "well how else would you eat a sandwich?"

I guess that's the glorious thing about culture.  It's all around you so much that you can't see it or touch it, and you just think that it's normal.

But it isn't normal, it's just tin foil.






Tweet It! Facebook

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I was at the airport and I had to translate the word "bocadillo" to some lady because the guy asked me. I said "sandwich" because I didn't know any other way to translate it. The guy says to me, "But aren't there two things? Sandwich and bocadillo?" And yeah, I get it, but in English bocadillo = sandwich and sandwich = sandwich, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tin foil - HA HA HA!! We've had this discussion before....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how in Spain, there are so many different words for sandwiches. Sandwich, bocadillo, mondatido...love it.
    And my favorite part of any fútbol game is at halftime when everyone pulls out their tin foil wrapped bocadillos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bocadillos, sandwiches, montaditos - love 'em all. And they all come in tin foil! So funny...just one of those things outsiders notice I guess!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?