Thursday, October 21, 2010

I say big, you say grande

Park Bench

There is one thing Europeans always seem to say about their first time experiencing the United States - everything in the U.S. is so much bigger than at home.  The food, the landscapes, the houses, the people even.

Conversely, as an American in Europe, sometimes I feel as if I am in a sort of shrunken hobbit-sized land, where everything is about 2/3 scale.  A large drink at McDonald's comes in a smaller cup than a Happy Meal kid's drink at home. Cars are hatchbacks, smart cars or Vespas - very few minivans, pickup trucks or SUVs. The elevator in my apartment building fits four (thin) adults in a very tight squeeze and is only really made for two at a time. Houses are smaller and cozy, and there is no cultural stigma to families living in apartments, unlike the States where apartments are generally reserved for the young or unambitious.

It makes Europe seem so small and quaint compared with the generous expansiveness of the American landscape, and it lends an air of the exotic to life here. The Mister says he's all cool with the whole "small" thing and that it's fine and dandy until he wants a fistful of ketchup packets with his french fries instead of the one that's the usual serving. He reasons that if he's in a place that's serving french fries with ketchup packets, it's almost like a little America anyway, and I'd venture to say that he is at least a little bit right.



Don't forget! I'll be doing another FAQ soon, so if you have any questions for me (or The Mister) about life in Spain or whatever you like, leave a comment on the post!
Tweet It! Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way in Japan! The first time I grabbed a burger at McDonald's and ordered a large soda, I was like "whaaaaa?" Shocking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on the whole "apartments are for the young and unambitious" thing. It's the American way to own a home and if you don't, people tend to feel sorry for you. If they only knew how freeing it is....

    Now, how can we convert some of the over-size-ness to under-size-ness for a healthier America? Ketchup packets don't count - I agree, they should be served in large quantity! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?