Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I like it when people are easy breezy

Textures and Patterns-070.jpg
I'll admit that it's easier to be in a good mood when you live here.

Today I was walking out of my apartment building, in pursuit of my little neighborhood market across the street.  I have been engaging in a playful flirtation with Andalucía's famed green olives, and I think it's getting serious.

So there I was, breezing out in pursuit of olives when a small, pleasantly plump grandmother waved me over. She was on her way into the building, and she was rolling behind her a little suitcase filled with groceries, the exact same type of suitcase that seems to be standard issue for all European women over the age of 65. "Niña," she asked politely, her face creasing into a smile, "can you help me up the stairs, please?"

Of course I said yes, and we bumped along up the steps, her making polite conversation and telling me how kind I am to help her.  When the task was complete she embraced me, kissed me on both cheeks, and called me a darling little niña.

I tell this story for one reason: nearly without exception, every single person I have met so far in Spain has truly been this nice.  Unlike their northern neighbors the French, who are infamous for being a bit prickly, and their Mediterranean cousins the Italians, who can be known to be a bit...unscrupulous, the Spanish are about as nice as they come.  Friendly, engaging, helpful.  

More than once I've asked for directions to a stranger on the street and had them walk along with me the first few blocks to get me started.  Unfailingly, the Spanish are enthusiastic about my Spanish and compliment me on language skills way more than is probably merited.  The Mister and I already know the names of a lot of the small business proprietors on our street and they recognize me in my little food market as la americana.  My butcher smiles in greeting when I walk up to the counter and waits for me to tell him what exactly I have in mind for my meat, whether soup or stir-fry or baked, so that he can pick the appropriate cut, since I don't know the cuts of meat in Spanish yet. This isn't a special-price-for-you-my-friend culture either, and cheating someone by overcharging for a dinner or taxi ride is bad form.  

So here's to you, los españoles. World champions of soccer, and good-natured to boot.
Tweet It! Facebook

5 comments:

  1. When the time comes you may find it hard to leave. Who says you have to?

    Remember the words of the philosopher John Lennon: Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

    A happy life is where you find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me happy for you guys. Sounds quaint and relaxing. Aaaaahhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Yard, for the words... it makes my heart happy for you two, also. Receiving warmth and joy from others as you spread your special kind of warmth to others

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those suitcases are made ESPECIALLY for the mercadillos, which i LOVE and FREQUENT. I'm saving up for my own little suitcase, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, the Spanish are very nice!! it's one of the many reasons we want to live there (again for me as I lived there as a student eons ago). not to say there aren't nice people in the U.S. but....well, you probably know what I mean.

    don't mind me...I called in sick today and instead am perusing the web and I clicked on your Malaga tag at right and have been stuck here for over an hour!! but loving it all!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?