Friday, January 15, 2010

January Thank You


*I liked writing a thank you letter last month so much I've decided to continue the tradition monthly in 2010*

Shortly after I got married
, my Aunt Jill came out to Arizona to visit her sister, also known as my mother.


This aunt of mine is no pansy. She raised handfuls of children (less than 10, more than 5, and only one girl in the bunch) and makes her family meals from scratch pretty much every night. And she is a scrapbook queen.

We got to talking about newly married life and household management and cooking and all the things that a newly married couple have fun figuring out on their own. She went home, and a few weeks later I got a little unexpected gift in my mailbox.
Recipes.

Lots and lots of recipes - almost two dozen - handwritten out just for me on beautiful recipe cards.

They immediately formed the backbone of my recipe box, because they were good, staple recipes - my absolute, hands-down favorite being "How to Cook a Whole Chicken". It contains the directions "don't be afraid, Sarah! Just reach right in".

How can you not love that?

So thank you, Aunt Jill. Your investment of time in taking what must have been hours to select, write, and mail the perfect recipes just for me was spent on a grateful heart. Those recipe cards will get passed on to my own children one day, and together you and I will ensure that no one from our line will not know how to whip up perfect homemade ranch dressing.

Love,
your niece,
Sarah
Tweet It! Facebook

2 comments:

  1. AW you are so sweet. When I looked at the recipe card I thought, hm sure looks like my writing :) I am glad you like them.
    Love Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. This almost seems to personal to comment on, but writing thank you notes must be a lost art. I remember as a child being "forced" to write them, which could be the reason you don't see so many of them now. If only we all had an Aunt Jill, the thanks might just come so naturally we would be impelled to express our gratitude without feeling like we had to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?