Thursday, January 7, 2010

Another story arc


Yesterday I was telling you about one of the stories I'm choosing to be a part of this year: The Story In Which The Girl Who Hates Running Stops Being Lazy And Runs a 5k Because She Told Her Friends She Would.

Today, another story I'm living this year.

Remember last summer The Mister and I became great friends with a group of Jordanians? Well we still chat with them often, and when the opportunity came up to travel to the Middle East with a group of friends, we said, duh, yes. So this spring we will be heading off for two weeks to Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Amman, and other places in between.

And we get to see our friends!

The opportunity to be with them in their country after they came to ours is so incredibly exciting.

So, we're writing a story in which Super White Christian-ish American Homegirl and Homeboy Become Busom Friends With Muslim Arabs From The Middle East. They came to visit us, now we get to go visit them. And here's the part of the story that gets dicey: when our friends were here, they taught us a lot of words in Arabic (which I never knew was such a pretty language, but it is indeed). Their English of course was impeccable. So when one of them dared me to learn the Arabic alphabet by the time we came to visit (which at the time seemed a hazy, distant era), I instantly took the challenge.

And, um, the result is that now I need to learn the Arabic alphabet in about 9 or 10 weeks. Because I promised. I knew I could do it, because *little known fact alert!* I actually can read the Russian alphabet. It wasn't too hard once I got the hang of it.

Anyway.

Wish me luck.

That is all.
Tweet It! Facebook

3 comments:

  1. I love the stories you are writing in 2010! I know you can do the alphabet... you have this wonderful (relational) incentive to master the letters to deepen the connection.

    What a rich time you will have in the Middle East among friends... I cannot wait to hear the next set of chapters in this story you are co-authoring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be a cool experience. Being a blond you might want to consider covering your head while there.
    I am unfamiliar with the term Christian-ish. Is that sort of Christian? LOL
    I bet you come across radical Muslims while you are there, could be interesting!
    Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!I have to live vicariously through you - your life is just one big adventure, and I love to hear about every single one of them. This latest is no exception, although I will miss you when you're not on good ol' USA soil. So, does this put learning Spanish on the back burner for a while?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?