Friday, October 28, 2011

On life in a second language

 We speak the language well but not perfectly. We have lots of friends and coworkers who we communicate with only in Spanish and we don't generally have issues, but we are both tired of never getting the joke, or feeling like you're the odd one out that someone has to kindly explain the cultural reference to. I don't know any 90s Spanish pop stars, and I didn't watch Spanish cartoons as a kid. These things handicap you after awhile and make you feel as if you are hanging around the edges, with your face pressed up against the glass, straining to be a part of things even though the barrier stands coldly and firmly in your way.

Living in a second language is also a thankless task. Sometimes I'll try really hard and stick in a fancy subjunctive verb that I've conjugated correctly for like the first time ever, and I don't get a nod.  How can I? If I do everything right, then it just sounds normal and unremarkable to them.

Tweet It! Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! Por favor?