Thursday, May 26, 2011

Visas and paperwork and red tape, oh my.

Today The Mister and I went to renew our residency paperwork for one more year.  It's been a drama and a half, because I think the favorite pastime of Spanish government officials is cooking up innovative and underhanded ways to confuse and frighten people.  It makes them feel powerful.

Below is a picture I snapped (illegally, as it turns out) at the Oficina de Extranjeros today.  Check out the multiple stapled reminders for NO STAPLES. It's also worth noting that the staples signs are the only thing in the whole office that's translated into languages other than Spanish, including all the official paperwork. At the office for foreigners

Well, Spain has other talents, but who says efficiency has to be one of them?
Tweet It! Facebook

6 comments:

  1. If you think THAT is inefficient...you should try going to the Oficina de Extranjeros in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife. You get to wait outside, in the rain and in the sun. For hours. There's only one person who in the office that can renew your residency... it's terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the case when we initially got our Residency Number (NIE) last September here in Málaga. Outside under the boiling hot sun for 4 hours, all for them to look at us blankly for a few minutes then write our Residency Number on a post-it note (I kid you not) and tell us to go to the police station for our actual card.

    This time was a lot more civilized as appointments are now required at the Málaga office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an expat living and dealing with the bureaucracy here in Italy. That video would be funnier if it wasn't so painfully true.

    BTW, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - I can imagine! After seeing the way Italians drive, I don't trust them in the organization department!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Married to a Spaniard and having lived in Spain for 8 years I had my share of waiting on long lines...Hahahaha! I must remember to show this video to anyone I know from Spain the next time they complain about long security lines when traveling through or to our airports! hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Cathleen, you must be a saint! 8 years...le sigh. It's like having to go to the DMV 4 times a year.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?