Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An afternoon at the local chiringuito

Chiringuito-001.jpg

When my friend Pilar heard that The Mister and I hadn't yet tried Málaga specialty espetos - something we Americans would call "fire-roasted sardines on a stick" -  she was so startled that she literally stopped in her tracks, like in a movie, forcing me to walk three steps without her before realizing that she was still behind me.  "We absolutely must go," she said, "what are you doing Saturday?"

So this past weekend we met up with her and her boyfriend Juan and another friend, Maria del Mar (who I will forever love because her real, actual first name is Maria del Mar) and we went to the chiringuito.  Chiringuitos are little open-air restaurants, right on the beach, that specialize in fish, seafood, and all types of marine life delicacies.  They usually have a little fire somewhere nearby on the sand or in an old carved-out boat, over which lots of whole fish are smoking and roasting.

I belong to the category of people who are somewhat ambivalent about fish.  I try to get used to the taste, the smell, but have never warmed up to the whole thing.  I am, however, a firm believer in food experimentation and strongly in the Anti-Picky Eating Club, so I had to give it a shot.

Chiringuito-003.jpg

The verdict was that it was all pretty good.  I didn't mind eating around the head, and when the little fried anchovies came along, I ate them whole like everyone else.  Fins, eyeballs and all.  They ended up being my favorite thing.  So crunchy (maybe it was the bones?) - yum.

So if you're in Spain anytime soon, especially on the Costa del Sol, get yourself to a chiringuito and try some espetos.  And then afterwards, try to find yourself a friend named Maria del Mar. It's even cooler than it sounds.


Chiringuito-012.jpg
Pilar, Maria del Mar, and me.
Tweet It! Facebook

10 comments:

  1. Are those chopitos?? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutly delish! Everytime I'm in Malaga/Nerja I have to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgpuntillitas. First thing I ate during feria!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so delicious. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puntillitas, chopitos...yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man. I like to think of myself as fairly adventurous.... but I don't know if I could do eyeballs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've yet to have anchovies. To be honest, I've never known anyone to eat them before. I just assumed they were terrible: to be left to the Ninja Turtle's pizza.

    Now I have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People no extended should be worried about their jewellery getting lost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There really are a variety of methods by which individuals can store their jewellery and shield it also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only worse than living on the Spanish costa and not eating fish is living in Spain and being a veggie.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?