Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Peanut Butter and Salsa

This week is the week schools in Málaga celebrate the home town culture.  The school schedules are chock-full of cultural activities, and The Mister's teachers asked if he could bring in some American food as a little cultural demonstration for his 7th and 8th graders.

We thought, and thought, and thought.  The food needed to fit within strict guidelines: be 1.) available in Spain, 2.) not super expensive - the school gave us a budget of 10 euros, 3.) be individual-serving friendly, i.e. doesn't require forks and plates, 4.) not require too much prep work, and 5.) be sufficiently American. Tall order, no?

We took peanut butter and salsa.  I mean, we didn't serve them together.  But we served peanut butter and crackers, and chips and salsa.  The kids went nuts.  

First, we had to explain what these two foreign concepts are and what salsa even IS. They were a bit nervous to try the foods at first - they kept furrowing eyebrows and saying, "now WHAT is this again?!".  They were also pretty worried that the salsa would be spicy (it wasn't in the slightest), because Spaniards, bless their hearts, generally can't handle anything spicier than black pepper without crying out for agua

But once they had their first bites, we were off to the races and it turned into something like feeding time in the shark tank.  I'd say the peanut butter had about an 85% success rate, and the ones who didn't like it were mostly walking around moving their mouths around saying "it's just so sticky."  The salsa had about a 104% success rate.  In the end, all that was left was a trail of chips.
Tweet It! Facebook

8 comments:

  1. Mmm, sounds like my day today. Toast and peanut butter for breakfast, nachos and salsa for supper.

    My wife Ashley sings that song all the time, I thought she made it up until now. That video is appalling, I'm going to have to give her a hard time about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm confused about the peanut butter containing BUTTER?! Hahaha.

    Unfortunately, too many American peanut butters contain other things besides peanuts and salt, like high fructose corn syrup or palm oil! I like to make my own, but here I lack a food processor. (I also make almond butter. Yum.)

    Also, salsa is the best. I miss the homemade salsa made in a local Mexican restaurant. It really is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...are we not supposed to put up photos of the kiddos? I have a few up, should I take them down? I was divided on whether to put htem up or not...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Mike: I can't believe she sings that! that's hilarious

    @Kaley: homemade salsa...oh gosh don't get me started!

    @Claire: I found out the hard way. I put up a few pictures a few months ago and my school very kindly and politely asked me to remove them. I thought it would be okay because there weren't any names involved and I've never written my school's name on here (and honestly, I never thought they would see them!), but that turned out to be a bad assumption. Eek. They were cool about it but I felt bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that video is terrible... yikes! k

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Spaniards, Bless them, they'll happily eat anything dredged from the Ocean floor, or anything Grandad managed to shoot the previous day, but give them a new spice or something with a foreign label on it and they run a mile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tumbit: so true. your comment made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a great idea!! I might have to steal it! I bet most of my students don't even know what peanut butter is. Gasp!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?