Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Madrid in Pictures, Part 1 of 2

Madrid-060.jpg

So we had a good time in Madrid this past weekend.  The LSAT felt like it went pretty well, although you can never really tell with that punk test.  The LSAT is like a terrible best friend, the kind that is nice to your face but talks about you behind your back - you can think that you and the LSAT are friends, and put in lots of quality time together, and in the end you can still end up with a knife in your back, looking stupid and feeling tricked.  So cross your fingers, eh?

After the test we wanted to celebrate having survived, and we knew just the place to do it.  There was a faux 50s'-style American diner right across the street from our hotel that was advertising DELICIOUS HAMBURGERS SHAKES FRIES, and one of the benefits about already living in Spain is that I felt absolutely no guilt helping myself a nice juicy burger instead of some more culturally relevant Spanish food.  I eat Spanish food all the time, but I haven't had a burger like that since last summer (we definitely don't have food like that in Málaga), and let me tell you it was DELICIOUS.

Usually "American" restaurants in Spain feature totally un-American things like pizza with tuna and corn or something like that.  This one was a pretty great imitation though - right down to the glass sugar shakers with the aluminum slot to pour out - quintessentially American stuff right there.  So authentic feeling that it was really weird to be greeted by a cheery "Hola! Cuántos soís?" and to see the menu try to explain a Cobb salad in Spanish.

Madrid-013.jpg

This leads me, however, to my chief complaint against Madrid.  Madrid is a pretty city, quite European feeling in a generic sort of way, but the whole effect was a little...vanilla.  It didn't feel nearly Spanish enough to me.  Where were the chestnut roasters on the street corners?  Where were the street vendors selling flowers? Nothing even closed for siesta.

My first three blocks walking in Madrid, I had seen a Burger King, a McDonald's, two Starbucks, a Bridgestone tire store and a FedEx truck.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the city overall, but I don't think I'll be adding it to my list of favorites because it felt too taken over by the multinational corporate chain city snatchers.  It felt like I could have been anywhere in Europe, in any city, and I missed the Spanishness, because jiminy christmas I love the Spanishness.  I really do.

But see? It was pretty anyway.

Madrid-035.jpg

Madrid-022.jpg

Tweet It! Facebook

6 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I'm living in Madrid right now and I agree that it's not as Spanish as anywhere else. When you're working and get to know Spaniards, it's not as bad, though. I gotta find that American restaurant! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunkin' Coffee?! What happened to the donuts?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha "Dunkalatte" sounded out is "dunk a lot, eh?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gotten used to McDonald's but I cringe when I see Pizza Hut (saw that in Brussels) or KFC! The horror.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confession. Kayley, I ate at that Pizza Hut. And I agree with you about Madrid, there's something about it that just not Spanish enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you will keep updating your content constantly as you have one dedicated reader here.

    cheap clomid

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?