Thursday, November 25, 2010

Our Thanksgiving dinner is a little different

Thanksgiving Burgers-003.jpg
This was our Thanksgiving dinner

The thing about spending Thanksgiving out of the United States is that it isn't Thanksgiving anywhere else.

So since you know you're not going to celebrate the typical way, you kind of just keep your head down and convince yourself to treat it like any other day, instead of spending the whole day wishing that you were in your parent's kitchen, sneaking bites of your mom's world-famous pumpkin cheesecake.

But the catch is that Thanksgiving is a rather famous American specialty, an infamous little quirk, and everyone has been exposed to it through movies and TV, and so the very year that you don't want to talk about it and you want to try to ignore the whole thing, everybody and their mother wants you to give them a five-minute monologue on it.

"How exactly do you cook the turkey? Roasted? Grilled? Fried?"

"Tell me about pumpkin pie. What's in it? Is it as disgusting as it sounds?"

(*side note here*: when I mentioned pumpkin pie to my third-graders, they immediately started making revolted faces and fake retching in the aisles.  One kid said "Necesito vomitar" which, I think, doesn't need translation.  They eat pumpkin here occasionally, but only in savory items, and the idea of sweet pumpkin nearly pushed them over the edge. Sad.)

Thanksgiving is, in fact, my very favorite holiday of the year, despite my attempts to ignore this one.

So here's to you, America. Happy Thanksgiving. Believe me when I say that I'm thinking about you.

(oh, and don't feel too sad for me - my friend Claire came through like a champ and is hosting a Thanksgiving dinner Saturday night for us wayward Americans - so looks like I will get to be jealous of your turkey and eat mine too!)
Tweet It! Facebook

8 comments:

  1. Okay, so this one brought tears to my eyes. Fred and I both said how much we treasure your friendship, and wish you only the best. So I'm thankful today for both you and The Mister, and I'm grateful for friends who will help you celebrate all that you have to be thankful for this year, even though you can't sneak any pumpkin cheesecake. May you (ala Rob Bell) be blessed with all the goodness God has to give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since pumpkin pie is awesome I made one a while ago for my in-laws. I knew they would be skeptical, so left it as a surprise and only once they were about to taste it was did I tell them it was pumpkin. And to their own astonishment, they loved it! Seriously though, my suegro seemed really confused that North American food could be so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first Fourth of July in Spain five years ago, I went to Cádiz and ate Burger King on the beach. Couldn't have been more perfect. And I'm ok with that...I'm eating meatballs from Ikea tonight!

    And, December 22nd. We are meeting. period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of you today as I cooked, and later ate, our meal. I was wondering how you were coping and what you were eating... so your post resolved my curiosity. Remember 'stoic lie a turkey?' Good times...

    Glad you will enjoy your feast on Saturday. Thanksgiving with a Spanish flare - do take photos and post!

    Thinking of you today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving dear friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Andrea: May you have a plump turkey and excellent Black Friday deals. Miss you guys.

    @my Canadian friend: the world must be educated on pumpkin pie!

    @Cat: IT'S A DATE!

    @Kelley: Stoic turkey! bahaha! Hope your day was tasty and very gourmet.

    @ Debbie: hope you had a great holiday. give the EmDes crowd hugs for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post!
    I've gotten students thinking Standard American Food is gross, too. I got a lot of "qué asco!" with the concepts of PB&J and sweet potatoes. go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel a teensy bit slighted that your Thanksgiving Skype date has gone unmentioned. That was a pretty "different" Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?