Monday, November 22, 2010

El Tintero

El Palo-009.jpg

I hope you had a fine weekend. We certainly did. Flamenco show, coffees with Spanish friends, late-night Dominoes pizza. 

*cough*

Yeah sorry, one thing doesn't belong, right? But they just opened up a Dominoes in town, and there are LIMITED TIME OFFERS, well, we folded like lawn chairs. What else can I say?

So, Sunday we set out to atone for our sins.  We kept hearing about this great restaurant in the next little town, El Palo.  This restaurant, El Tintero, is famous for some of the best seafood on the coast. 

It was a bright, sunshiny Sunday, and so we set out on foot.  Google Maps estimated one hour walking time, which is a fairly standard walk for us here now, and didn't bother us in the least.  Right on the boardwalk the whole way.

One hour and forty five minutes later, we were there. Thanks, Google.

This restaurant is super cool because you don't order from a menu - instead, waiters wander around with plates of food, calling out items like at an auction - "arroz! arroz! pulpo a la gallega!", and you flag down the dishes you want.  When you've had your fill, they count how many plates you've had and you pay up.  Rather charming, and oozing with character.

As for the food - well I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Shrimp, Spanish style
Salt-encrusted shrimp - heads still attached, as is standard Euro-style

Paella
Paella, apple of my eye

Fried octopus
My favorite one of the day: pulpo frito - fried octopus

El Palo-015.jpg
Lobster so fresh I swear there was a little seawater on the plate

El Palo-034-Edit.jpg
The pitchers of beer made the two-hour walk home feel a little shorter
Tweet It! Facebook

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics. I'm hoping to be in Europe next year in which case I will go to Spain and track down this restaurant. Hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving en Espana :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me very hungry! Love, Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow. I hope "yummy" is a universal word, because that is all I can think to say after looking at that delicious food! And guess you were able to walk some of it off, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, kinda jealous here, and you made me very hungry as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT PHOTOS! Those dishes looked amazing...I am hungry for paella now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food looks great, and must have been worth the trip.

    We had the same problem with Google Maps, only we were in Wisconsin and in a car - and never thought to be grateful that we weren't on foot! We became solid MapQuest fans after that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT blog! Subscribing you...I love photography, food, and Spain! We spent a week in Marbella last year and had the best time. Can't wait to go back!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! May you all get to have lunch at El Tintero one day!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?