Thursday, November 11, 2010

The calculator in my head

Snapped this photo of an inch-less ruler (centimeters only) on my phone today at work. 

So. This shouldn't surprise you, but, you know, living abroad isn't all pretty vistas and late-night moto rides.  Adjusting to the rhythms of life in a different country is hard work at times - it's disorienting, and kind of exhausting. Especially if math isn't your thing. What?  Yeah, I said it. Math.

For whatever reason, Americans are kind of odd birds when it comes to standards of measurement.  We just operate on different systems than anywhere else.  Personally, I blame the Brits, who bequeathed it to us and then quietly switched over to the world standards, snickering behind their tea-stained fingers.  Their genteel revenge, if you will, for the whole Boston tea party incident.

Check it out.  Here are some mind puzzles that are all in an day's work:

  • Celsius. Geez, we are really the only misfits in the world who use Fahrenheit apparently. Le sigh.  The conversion is near impossible for anyone with a sub-Einsteinian grasp of numbers (something about multiplying by 9/5ths?), so I have to learn the old-fashioned way: going out and taking a walk.  I don't know the conversion at all, but at this point I've learned the hard way that 28 degrees is too hot to wear a coat and I will end up carrying it all day, 19 degrees is lovely unless windy, and 11 degrees and raining is downright freezing.
  • The Metric system. It's sort of similar to the one listed above, but it's a whole separate pain in the keister, so I'm listing it on its own.  Kilometers, litres, milligrams, schmillograms.  Oh, and you say you like to bake? Good luck trying to convert recipes!
  • Euros. This one is the easiest of the bunch, but nonetheless it's different.  Conversions are more by feel than actual math, but the real problem is that the Europeans are really big on coins, and they have 1 and 2 euro coins as well as smatterings of littler ones.  I got 6 euros of change the other day, about 8 bucks worth, all in coins.  Ugh. Bottom line: double reinforce your pockets, because you get an extra couple pounds of metal to carry with you everywhere.
  • 24-hour time clock. Meeting at 13:30.  Restaurants open for dinner at 20:30. Figure it out quick or you'll look a little slow.  What we call "military time" Europeans call "regular, standard, non-confusing time" and I suppose they are right, but still, a little different.
  • A4. Oh, you made something on your computer that you're trying to print on a European printer? You and your cute little 8.5 x 11 inch paper.  Inches. So adorable.  You're either going to have a lot of white space, or you're going to have to do the metric conversion and use world standard (minus the US) A4-sized paper, which is a little longer.

I'm pretty sure I just heard a math teacher somewhere.

He said

MWAHAHA.
Tweet It! Facebook

7 comments:

  1. yes, this is one of the challenges of living abroad. Doing the math - who knew! I adjusted to the clock easier than anything else. I was so grateful for the easy conversions tools available on Google, but at some point you have to develop a feel for it (as you rightly said) and not depend on technology. Sigh... so glad to be stateside where I understand the numbers (well, as much as I ever 'understand' numbers)! If you can learn Spanish, master the LSAT and get a bit of Kirundi... you are gonna get the numbers, I know it! (Oh, btw, your friend Gwenyth made her country singing debut on the CMSs last night. I know country is not your style... but add that to her acting, perfect Castillian Spanish speaking, foodie knowledge...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must copy this one and send it to my technology-challenged sister, who, like me, finds the whole metric system so difficult to comprehend.

    I remember back long before you were born when we were going to go metric in the US. I got a book on it, studied up, but it never got off the ground. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello from up the coast.... I like your blog...
    Being Canadian, I'm good with the Celsius and metric system.. until it comes to baking. I recommend putting together a chart of the most common baking conversions that you can keep in the kitchen. I did that for the euros-dollars conversion too. But I was sad when I found out how expensive everything actually was. So now I just live in a dreamworld where I mentally underestimate the real value of everything. It's great— everything's SO cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading this makes my head hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm. did you grow up in my house? Celsius conversions and military time. Yup. I use them both EVERYDAY! Jeez.
    The easy version.... double the C and add 30. It will get you close enough to decide on the parka, light jacket, or shorts. or. 16=61 and 28=82
    Happy hour starts at 1600!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep...what your dad said! My mom's Canadian and so spending summers in Calgary as a kid...I had to learn that whole Celsius deal...the rule of thumb was double the "C" and add 30. Close enough. For a while...until I got it, it would confound me when my cousins would complain that it was "SO HOT" @ 32c in the Okanagan Valley...huh?

    Military time kinda makes sense actually. It's used in the medical field as well as other places...no way to confuse the hours in the day that way...midnight or noon? 3:00pm or 3:00am?

    I'd be in big trouble with the money thing...and lots of coins? No bueno.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?