Thursday, December 3, 2009

Greatest Hits of 2009: Books


My friend Kelley asked me recently what books have inspired and encouraged me this year. It's a thought-provoking question for me, because I really love to read and and have always been really shaped by books.

Normally the answer I'd give would include nonfiction like I usually like to read; books about history and politics and economics and governments and theology and phsychology and anthropology.

Am I boring you yet?

But this year, my answer would be different. This year, the books that have reached down into the deeps of the soul and pulled out something better and wiser and stronger have all been fiction.

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre

Rebbecca

To Kill a Mockingbird

Gone With the Wind

Atonement

Sense and Sensibility

Emma


I've learned something about myself through these books this year. I've learned that I'm more in touch with my own creative side when I'm immersing myself in the creativity of others. Which is fun and interesting to me, because I didn't use to think I HAD a creative side. But now I think we all do and most of us just don't know it.

Because I'm interested - and because I always love a good book recommendation - what books have inspired you in 2009?

Tweet It! Facebook

4 comments:

  1. The Last Lecture by Randy Paucsh. He was the professor with pancreatic cancer. Crazyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are all great classics Sarah. Have you read Viktor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning, a powerful book.
    Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading for fun...I dream of it while buried in information about tracheostomy tubes.

    That said, I'm (still, ugh) loving Krista's book and Billions and Billions by Carl Sagan.

    Next year my list will be a million times awesomer...I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book recommendations, you three! I haven't read any of the ones you guys are recommending, so I will be sure to put them on my library list for the coming year! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?