Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The First and the Last?



I read this book recently. I thought I'd love it, because I love books and food and personal essays and all that.

And let me tell you, it was awful. So bad that I thought about writing a brutally honest on Amazon.com just to warn others to stay away. But then I rethought putting all that bad karma out there in the universe, because you never know when it will come back around, and the author might read those reviews, and if I ever wrote a book and read some anonymous person saying nasty things about it online I would pretty much want to vomit.

So I didn't. But I wanted to.

So I'll post it here instead, where she'll never read it - not broadcast to the entire universe, but a little word to the wise - if you think you liked the movie, don't be tempted to check out the source material.

The author is so whiny and complaining and has barely-controlled anger management issues. She seemingly hates her husband, hates her job, hates New York life, hates even cooking Julia Child's recipes. She expresses all this disdain with a constant stream of profanity, which doesn't bother me so much for it's own sake but for the part that it's very, very lazy writing.

Ugh.

Anyway, I watched the movie after that, and you know what?

It was so much better than the book.

And that's probably the first time in my life that I have ever said that.
Tweet It! Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I had only heard about the movie, not the book, so I'm glad that you said the movie is better since I still wanted to see it.

    A book you might enjoy that I'm currently reading is called Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult. I don't know if you've read any of her stuff, but in this one the main character is a pastry chef, so at the start of each chapter is a recipe for various gourmet pastries - and how she ties it all in with the story is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I enjoyed the movie en route from Burundi to Belgium. But now I feel no guilt about foregoing the book! Sad that there is so much anger in her book, and I am glad it did not find its way into the movie!

    Andrea, like the sound of your recommendation. A pastry chef, recipes and a story that ties it all together - what is not to like!

    So something to not read, and something to read. You two are a great team... Siskel & Ebert!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?