Friday, August 26, 2011

Someone actually approved this message



First, please behold the glory of this rules and regulations sign. I spotted it next to a swimming hole in the river in western Spain last week, and, well, just try to really clear your mind and take it all in, the whole blinding awesomeness of it:


Extremadura-044.jpg

I can't decide if this sign is genius or if it displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the reasons someone would need to do their business at the park.

Arguments for the genius side: If you don't speak Spanish, you still know exactly what the sign is telling you not to do. There is no ambiguousness here. None at all. Not a speck.

Arguments for the stupid side: If matters come to a point where someone needs to contemplate dropping trou and leaving a poo pile in the flower patch at the town pool, they aren't going to be deterred by the fact that it's against the rules. If they are willing to flout the infinitely stronger societal rules of etiquette by committing such an act, then let's assume it's an emergency. Emergency kind of emergency. Which, by the way, I can only assume they acknowledge by the addition of zooming lines in the painting near the buttock region - I believe they are indicating velocity. At which juncture, who cares about the rules anyway?

So in summary, the sign tells you exactly what you're not to do, but I can't think of a single situation in which someone on the way to doing it would be deterred by a sign.

While you noodle over that, I'll share one more: 


Extremadura-045.jpg

Please don't shampoo yourselves in the water, the nearby fish might start leaping and shouting (well, that's what the picture would indicate anyway). And, the sign admonishes, please don't drive your car into the pool and try to wash it either. This is not a car-washing kind of pool, no sirree it isn't.


Tweet It! Facebook

3 comments:

  1. Is it sad that I can think of a reason why someone might need to do to their business at the park? Running. Running always makes me have to go. In that way. Sorry for the TMI. (I am not, however, saying I have ever gone in a park. My cross country running friends, however? Yep. Hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That might be the best sign I've seen since the dead cow lake sign. It might top it even. Oh Spain...hope you guys made it home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaley - bahahaha, ahahaha,

    Jess - I'm not sure anything can top dead cow lake, that was a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?