Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stuff Americans Like

New York-023.jpg

It's been said many times before: there's nothing to get you to notice your own culture like being outside of it for a bit.  Yesterday the Europeans had the hot seat - today I'm throwing my own people on there. Hold on tight, we're in for a roasting. 

Stuff Americans Like:

Eating in cars
Don't turn up your nose like that.  If you hail from North America in any form, you've done it.  We all have.  Europeans, for the most part, wouldn't dream of it.

Free toilets
The notion that taking a whiz ought to be free is so deeply ingrained in the American consciousness that most of us don't even know until we venture out into the big great beyond that this isn't a world standard.  It's not uncommon in the least to pay a small fee to use the toilet in public.  Also, toilet paper is a privilege in Europe, not a right.  Beware.

Chicken
I never knew how much Americans love their chicken, because I just thought that everyone ate that much chicken.  They do not.  Chicken is widely available, of course, but it isn't anywhere near the most popular meat here in Spain (I'd say the hierarchy goes something like this: ham, then pork, then every other part of the pig, then fish, then rabbit, then beef, then maybe chicken).  In Africa, in the Middle East, in Europe, and in every other part of the world I've been in, people eat chicken but they do not adore it like Americans do.  Not by a long shot. (You know you're American if at least once a week you have the thought: Hey! We should throw some chicken in this!)

Fancy schmancy coffee
French vanilla hazelnut butterscotch creamer, soy double shot americano with a twist, on the rocks (can you tell I'm not really a coffee drinker? Which part gave it away?). Coffee is big here, but the plain black stuff usually does just fine.  Maybe sprinkle in a little sugar.  From what I hear, it helps the medicine go down.

Enormous things
Buildings. Cars. Plates of Nachos. People. Did you know that the United States is over twice the size of all of Europe combined? Or something like that.  The scale of our country is so expansive that it can't help but seep into our mindset in nearly every possible way.  Americans just like things grand and showy, and when we set out to do something, we usually don't do it halfway.

Fresh milk
It's called UHT milk, people, and most of my compatriots, including myself, wouldn't touch it with a two-by-four.  Americans simply do not like to put their milk in the pantry.  But lots of Europeans do it everyday.

Wearing seatbelts
It's a national habit.  Turns out in this one area at least, we are a nation of conscientious rule followers.  In a lot of the world, seatbelts gather dust and wearing one is seen as a bit childish.

Wearing workout gear in public as if they were actual clothes
In America, wearing workout gear does not have to mean that you are working out currently, or that you just worked out, or that you are planning on doing so anytime in the near future, or, for that matter, ever. The ability to wear your sweats to Wal-Mart is a fundamental American right, right? Acceptable features of such an outfit include: workout hair, tennis shoes, yoga pants, sweatshirts of any kind, baggy t-shirts or basketball shorts. Number of these acceptable in Europe: approximately zero.

Salad dressing
Europeans seem to prefer the oil-and-vinegar route.  Boy are they missing out! Cranberry Walnut Vinaigrette.  Avocado Ranch. Chipotle and Red Pepper Fiesta Dressing. Bleu Cheese. The options are endless, and take up half of an (enormous, see above) supermarket aisle. The result: delicious.

Efficiency
We love this one.  We are famous for it (believe it or not).  If you are American, you may be shaking your head right now, thinking "they just haven't seem me yet!". But come to Europe (or much of the rest of the world for that matter, Japan and Germany being two notable exceptions) and try to observe anyone actually trying to get something done.  You will have at least three ideas that randomly pop into your head that would streamline the process and make it easier and more reliable.  You will be surprised at yourself for having these thoughts. Then you will understand.

Choices
We can choose between hundreds of varieties of carpet cleaners, spaghetti sauces, car models, universities, sports teams.  This effect is by no means gone here in Europe, but it's certainly muted a lot.  In America, you can eat Thai food one night, Italian food the next, then Ethiopian and Mexican and Japanese.  Variety! Choices! Possibility!  Ah, America. She still has glitter, doesn't she?

  
Tweet It! Facebook

9 comments:

  1. I liked this series, I also assumed chicken was universally loved. I've experience pay toilets in Mexico, but hadn't even dreamed up UHT Milk.

    I can't wait to get out on the road and pick up my own healthy dose of culture shock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny and so true! Emma and I just went out for lunch - I was wearing yoga pants (but don't do yoga on Tuesdays), we had chicken soup and had so many choices (sodas, sides, type of take-out bag... seriously)! I just laughed that I engaged in three of these items in the last hour! So American of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh - and we wore seat belts to and from the restaurant, so four is our total now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...my mom and sister were not a fan of the "toilet paper is a privilege, not a right" stance when they were here last week.
    I had to tell them the rule that any time there IS tp, you take a little bit at keep it in your purse for the next time there isn't, because there WILL be a next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Another Thing Americans Like: washing our hands after using the bathroom. ahem...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, free toilets! I walked into a McDonald's in San Antonio one time just to use the restroom and they told me I would have to make a purchase in order to get a "restroom token". I don't think my jaw has ever dropped so low. PAY to use the restroom?!?!?!

    Thanks for the heads up on that TP thing...I'm going to carry a traveler package of kleenex....do they have those there? :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some things I like, some I don't, but it's all so true. The other day my friends were baking a pizza in the oven. "oh that smells good! hawaiian?" "no, bacon and tuna! it's a classic." um. where's the bbq chicken pizza plz.
    And I always buy the one kind of fresh milk I have found only in Mercadona. I know EVERYONE drinks the UHT stuff here but it just seems so incredibly wrong to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These two posts, What Americans Like and What Europeans Like were the best! (I know, I know I always say that!) I just love reading about the cultural differences (good and bad) because, for me, that's what travel is all about.

    The last time I encountered a pay toilet was in Mexico, and luckily, I had some tissues with me. It's a lesson you don't forget. You're too young to remember when pay toilets seemed to be trying to catch on in the US, but thankfully, it didn't get very far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you guys crack me up! glad these things are somewhat Ameri-Universal and that it isn't just me.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?