Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Persimmon, How I Love Thee

untitled shoot-004.jpg

Lets take a moment of silence to observe the passing of the 2010-2011 persimmon season.

*crickets chirping*

Just me?

Persimmons don't get a bad rap in the States necessarily, they just get no rap. No rap at all.  Before I came to Spain, my knowledge of persimmons was...well, I just tried to think of a single thing that I knew about persimmons and I couldn't come up with any.

But here in Spain, the persimmon is the orange goddess of the winter produce section. Sweet, juicy, subtle.

It's spring now and they're disappearing faster than good taste at a Justin Beiber concert.

And so, this, my sendoff.

I'll be tapping my foot until the fall.

Tweet It! Facebook

4 comments:

  1. false! in the south we have persimmons, real little flavor-packed american persimmons, not the big ones you find in grocery stores! they're ripe after the first frost, you can only eat them once they've dropped off the tree, and my family makes an amazing persimmon pudding!

    conocimiento (knowledge? familiarity? appropriate english word escapes me) of them is dropping, of course, but they're still sort of known!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kit - THIS IS GREAT NEWS. I was so excited to read this and know that I will somehow be able to get persimmons back in the States, because I seriously am in love. Another reason why Southern food rocks - fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, okra, and now persimmons. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persimmon.
    How sad am I ? As an English guy living in Spain for the lasy 6 years, and with one of these trees growing in my neighbour's garden, I never knew the English word for them.
    - My next job is to actually see what they taste liek !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, Tumbit! Pluck one down soon and take a big juicy old bite - you might like what you find!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?