Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Glad I lost after all.

Photobucket


The Mister and I are in a book club. We get together once a month with friends and laugh and eat and drink wine and talk about a book. It's fun for people like us, who are dorky and yet social.
This month the book selected was A Prayer for Owen Meany. And boy, it is a big book. I mean, I don't usually get too intimidated by length but this is a VERY big book. With tiny font size and teensy margins.
I thought about lazing around and not reading it. Then The Mister read it, and proclaimed it AMAZING. That's how he said it, just like that - "this book is AMAZING".
But I still wasn't going to read it. Too long, and I have a book list as long as my arm that I want to get to.
Then, two weeks ago The Mister and I were having a spirited discussion about the word placement of a few lines from the TV show The Office. And we made a bet that we were each right about the exact quote. And we rewatched the episode, and of course I lost (was there any doubt?).
What did we bet? You guessed it - that I would have to read Owen Meany.
And you know what? It was seriously AMAZING.
Tweet It! Facebook

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to put that book on my own arm-length list of those I want to read, simply because you and the Mister thought it was AMAZING.

    By the way, that's a seriously AMAZING picture of the Mister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing is the perfect word for that book. I should re-read it this summer (and I have to wait till this summer because it is a HUGE book).

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I realize my comment is late, but I am catching up on your blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. It took me over seven weeks to read this AMAZING book - but it was worth it. It is, by far, the most skillfully crafted book I've ever read. It also touched home because of the NH and AZ connections, but the way the story was woven together was brilliant! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?