Monday, January 9, 2012

The Tannery

So I was honest about my rocky relationship with Morocco, and I was interested to see that in the comments, some of you reported similar experiences both in Morocco and in other countries. Maybe we just all belong to the wussie traveler club and we should toughen up, or maybe it isn't us. But I'm not all negative, because today I'll share two cool things about our trip there: 2.) the food is really good. Couscous and dried apricots and dates and tagines and camel burgers. And sweet mint tea. We were well fed. And 2.) The tannery.

We were in the city of Fez, which has one of the oldest continually operating tanneries in the world. We went, and then almost dropped dead from the smell. But we powered through and captured the snippets below. The guidebooks all swear that you can't get down on the tannery floor and can only view it from a balcony, but we lucked out with a "tour guide" (special price for you my friend!) who apparently held the keys to the whole establishment. We got right down in the mess, dodging pack donkeys and stray chickens, past animal carcasses and men up to their waists in huge ancient vats of what we were assured are very carcinogenic dye chemicals. It was noisy and colorful and so very, very pungent. It was fascinating.

See:


Morocco-262.jpgMorocco-256.jpg Morocco-231.jpg Morocco-229.jpg Morocco-168.jpg Morocco-233.jpg Morocco-221.jpg Morocco-219.jpg Morocco-212.jpg Morocco-208.jpg  Morocco-204.jpg Morocco-201.jpg Morocco-193.jpg Morocco-189.jpg Morocco-188.jpg Morocco-187.jpg Morocco-243.jpg
Tweet It! Facebook

4 comments:

  1. When I was in Marrakech, we went to a tannery very similar to this, and the guide told us that one step of the "curing" of the leather is to smear bird dropping on it... I'm not sure if that's really true, or they were just trying to cover up the real reason there was bird crap everywhere.

    Also, I have followed your journey from all the way back in early 2010 — except I started reading the blog yesterday! You are amazing and you're making me miss Spain so much. I'm in the process of finishing up the applications for the auxiliares program. I requested AndalucĂ­a, and I definitely have a special place in my heart for la Costa del Sol.

    I look forward to many many many more posts from you (and The Mister).

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?