Thursday, January 27, 2011

Zany parents, interviews, vacuum bag confessions, and weather


Mom and Dad visit 2-026.jpg

First off, the good folks over at Vagabonding interviewed me recently for a series on long-term travelers. They just posted the interview here, and I can't believe that I've now publicly admitted that I love vacuum-pack travel bags. I still feel like people should only use them in infomercials.

Second off (is that a phrase?), do you know how weird/awesome my parents are? Some highlights of their trip were:

  • Watching my teensy-tiny mom almost get blown across the Mediterranean by the gale-force winds Málaga served up.  
  • Watching my dad, hard-core coffee-lover, try to make do with instant coffee and then Earl Grey each morning because we don't have a coffee maker (things are rather quaint when you literally don't have room for a coffee maker)
  • Drinking wine out of an assortment of Coke glasses, because our landlord apparently has something for Coke and has provided only drinking glasses with the Coca-Cola logo.
  • Having dinner at our Spanish friends the Castillos - they made paella, grilled pork, Spanish salads, and had platters of Manchego cheese and jamón Serrano...it was Spanish cuisine at its absolute best. They teased us about how often Americans say "awesome", and "really?" which are completely accurate observations.
  • Speaking Spanish in front of my parents - weird but fun when they didn't understand anything and The Mister and I could speak in secret code (just kidding, Mom and Dad! we didn't do that!)
Tomorrow, let's talk about the weather (but not in a boring way), because one question that always comes up from people is "WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE IN SPAIN?" and I will try mightily to answer correctly (just kidding, I will probably answer in a lazy and semi-accurate way, but it will be close enough).

Tweet It! Facebook

3 comments:

  1. great interview...you and the Mister inspire me every day. I've applied to teach English in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent interview Sarah and wonderful pics. Glad you are enjoying the time with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks cscobirds2! You just made my (and The Mister's) day!

    @Debbie - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?