Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm back and I'm talking about Par-EE

Oh gosh, you guys. I was gone from this blog for a whole week and would you believe me if I say I missed it? I did. I'm glad to be back.

First stop was the land of guillotines, existentialism, and really wicked good baguettes. Le France.

Winter Break -198-Edit
Paris, city of love and light

Paris was freezing. Seriously, two-pairs-of-spandex-under-your-jeans-and-still-have-a-numb-culo freezing.  There was a blanket of snow when we first got there, which I felt was a generous gesture from France, sort of conciliatory, like "hey sorry about the butt hypothermia, I'll give you some pretty snow-covered vistas though, okay?".  And I said "throw in a hot crepe drizzled in honey and we will call it even." 

Winter Break -222
France and I reconciled.

Highlights:

  • After years of being told that the real-life Mona Lisa is disappointing because it's totally smaller than everyone thinks it will be, I am proud to report that it was just exactly the size I thought it would be.  I am pretty sure that this can be extrapolated into a life lesson: the key to satisfaction is in low expectations.
  • We went behind the scenes at the oldest bakery in Paris, and a guy who's been making bread for 40 years showed us how he works his magic. And then he let us eat some bread straight out of the oven. Heaven with a cherry on top.
  • Getting completely confused by these futuristic pod-like street bathrooms Paris has. It's got a rotating door, more lights and buttons than a cockpit, and speaks to you in this disembodied female voice while you are trying to simultaneously do your business and not accidentally push the "open door" button. 
  • Hanging out with our Jordanian friend Raa'fat, who was vacationing there the same time we were, and musing that we've now hung out in Phoenix, in Amman, Jordan, and in Paris - an unlikely trio.
  • Eating snails. Lowlight. It tasted like...eating snails. Like slurping an earthworm. 
Winter Break -075
Not recommended.


Winter Break -013
The city of light was...lit up.

Winter Break -034
Notre Dame

Winter Break -008
The Mister and his mom

Winter Break -068
I had to walk up a half-mile of steps to get this picture so you'd better like it, dangit

Winter Break -040
Classique

And, as promised: the most  quintessentially French thing I've ever seen.  The last morning we were there, The Mister and I were taking the Metro to the airport when a man got on who was obviously in the midst of some hard times.  He was an accordion player, and he brought his accordion along, playing jaunty tunes for our listening pleasure.  When he was done, he walked around and passed around a hat to gather up some spare change.  And some delightful French person, on the Paris Metro on a cold Thursday morning, dug around in their pockets and decided that there was a gift better than cash - and produced, out of nowhere, a half-eaten baguette. The accordion man's eyes lit up like the Eiffel Tower at night. He took it gratefully and hid it somewhere in the folds of his clothing until it was invisible to the naked eye. My conclusion is twofold: 1.) That only in France can bakery bread substitute as currency in a pinch, and 2.) that both men, and by extension all French citizens, sew secret pockets in their clothing for the transportation and safe transfer of baguettes.

Winter Break -138.jpg
Tweet It! Facebook

7 comments:

  1. love your post and love LOVE the pictures. sadly, i have to report that my camera went to lala land, aka cat drunk banging it one nye thinking that would fix it or take better pictures or make me forget that i knew a hangover was coming. i don't know.

    BUT BUT BUT snails are sooooo much better in spain! just wait for it! come to sevilla and i'll take you to the good places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we, your devoted fans, missed you far more than you missed your blog. However, I do think this post was worth the wait. The pictures, as usual, are fabulous, and your personality rings through the descriptions of your adventures.

    My only experience with snails was many years ago, and they looked very much like the ones you pictured. They were called "Champion Magic" (say it with a very strong French accent and it sounds exotic). We pretended they tasted as elegantly as they looked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I was there around New Years, and despite my Wisconsin upbringing, still froze my butt off. But totally worth it, I think Paris is more beautiful in the winter than any other time. Loooove the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! I love the one of you two kissing. Simply gorgeous background.

    Your blog is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...butt-hypothermia?

    nice.

    Hey it's about time you posted! Since I'm not in school, the only thing I read is this blog! I was beginning to lose my skill!

    P.S. there is no butt-hypothermia in Phoenix. Just sayin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha we don't even need to sew secret pockets, it's already there! (but don't tell, please :)
    Nice try with snails! Paris is not really Ze place for it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guillaume, that is my new favorite comment...ever.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?