Friday, January 28, 2011

Málaga has it's own microclimate so I can't speak for the rest of Spain

Mom G in Malaga-006.jpg

"The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain" - name that musical!

(Incidentally, it has been considered by a few to be one of my great failings as a human being that I've never been a fan of musicals, so I won't exactly be crushed if you fail this test.)

The weather in Málaga is, in general, one of its selling points. The climate here is very similar to San Diego - warm, fairly humid summers, and mild winters.  We get lots of sunshine in general (this part of Spain is known as the Costa del Sol - the coast of the sun) and a really cold January day is maybe 57 or 58 degrees, the warm ones topping out around 70. Not too shabby.

This winter and last, however, have been setting records for rain.  I was nervous about having good weather when my mama-in-law came in December and then again last week when my parents were here.  Both times, I pleaded with Málaga to show off her good side with her pretty blue skies and her sweet little ocean breezes.  The first time she showed me exactly where to shove my request with dark, forbidding days and bone-chilling dampness.  The second time, she rather haughtily provided hurricane-ish winds that took your breath away, and flipped me the bird with cold, scudding clouds.  (I am pretty sure Málaga does not like being told how to conduct her weather business, just as a helpful aside to those who might be considering asking.)

Ah, weather, she is a fickle mistress.




Tweet It! Facebook

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh.....that would be "My Fair Lady"! The musical AND you!

    So enjoy keeping up with your travels through your blog, but do miss seeing you and the Mister here in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Valerie said - because I couldn't have said it any better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truthfully, I did not notice the gray days. Mine were filled with the sunshine of my visit with you and your Mister, my son! Time with you, Sarah, puts light and joy in any weather micro climate

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?