Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A baked potato like you wouldn't believe

Yesterday was the kind of day that both started and ended with spectacular, crashing thunderstorms and pounding rain.  Yesterday the name of the game was dodging rain puddles, figuring out wet umbrella etiquette on the bus, and eating steamy bowls of soup.  In short, it was fantastic.

Late yesterday evening The Mister and I splashed through the rain to meet up with some Spanish friends Irene, Máru and Lidia for dinner.  They promised us that they knew this place in town that will lay everything they've got into making you a baked potato so big and elaborate that it is literally impossible to eat a whole one yourself.  The Mister took that as a challenge, of course.

I normally think of a baked potato as a rather humble food item. It's perfectly acceptable, but I don't think I've ever craved a baked potato or anything.  But these were completely unlike any other one I've ever eaten:  at least 20 different menu options of all sorts of varieties: The Veggie Baked Potato, Bolognese Baked Potato, Ham and Cheese, and on and on.  And they were ENORMOUS.  We girls split two baked potatoes between five of us (Polish/Finnish friend Marta came too) and there were leftovers. The Mister got his own and broke into a cold sweat halfway through, but he somehow managed to get the whole thing down, although I am fairly certain that he privately was regretting it, and will share next time.

Patatas Asadas-058.jpg
The toppings options were endless
This is Potato#1: Kebab. Lots of roasted chicken, ham, a few olives (because we're in Spain), and tons of mysteriously awesome "yogurt sauce". SO good.

Patatas Asadas-060.jpg

Potato #2: Mexican.  This was easily the most passable Mexican food I've had the whole time I've been here in Spain.  The guacamole was pretty awesome and corn was an unexpected choice, but rather delightful in the end. I could eat this every day.

Patatas Asadas-061.jpg

In other news, my mother-in-law is coming to town tomorrow to celebrate Christmas with us here, and I'm super excited.

Should we feed her baked potatoes?
Tweet It! Facebook

10 comments:

  1. The best baked potato I had... just this fall in AZ! I piled a soft, warm potato with crispy cubes of pancetta. Better than bacon bits, I swear. Kids opted to pile theirs with pesto, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella, not a bad option. That place sounds pretty good... I think Janice would approve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the people like to eat salad in their meal. parking luton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unable to see the pictures of Mexican food. Re load them.
    gatwick car parking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately these baked potatoes are not visible to us. :(
    car park Heathrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may not believe it. But I definitely would love to try it.
    sports tickets
    sports events tickets

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled upon this delightful blog post while searching for Heathrow Airport Parking Deals. While the post is all about baked potatoes (which look amazing, by the way!), I couldn't help but be reminded of the joy that comes with discovering great deals. Just as a perfectly baked potato can be a delicious surprise, scoring a fantastic airport parking deal can be a pleasant find that enhances your travel experience. Thanks for the mouthwatering recipe and the unintended reminder to keep an eye out for those Heathrow Airport Parking Deals by Express Parking! 🛫🚗✨

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking for hassle-free travel from the UK? Ezybook offers convenient Long Stay Parking Luton options, ensuring your journey starts stress-free. Park with confidence and embark on your adventures worry-free!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?