Thursday, March 15, 2012

American food is not a myth

New York-023.jpg
Getting a slice in NYC, September 2011

I'm having one of those weeks where it seems to have suddenly occurred to a lot of people around me that I'm American. Coworkers, friends, and my students have been full of questions this week. Which is great. I don't mind answering them, even when they're asking me for the hundredth time why Americans are so fat. 

But this, this one question, is somehow driving me crazy this week, and I swear if I hear one more person say that American food is limited to hamburgers, hot dogs and junk food or that America doesn't really have it's own food culture I might scream

So, listen up, Americans and otherwise: we have tons of foods that are uniquely ours. Sure, we are a nation of immigrants and lots of things (but by no means all) have roots in another food culture, but we have changed many things beyond recognition (I submit to you that seven-layer dip is American, not Mexican) and we have plenty of things all our own.

Off the top of my head:

casseroles
cinnamon rolls
biscuits and gravy
fried chicken (they fry it other places too but our buttermilk-soaked way is called "American style")
pancakes and waffles as breakfast food (elsewhere they're usually dessert, if they're around at all)
barbecue sauce and flavors
clam chowder
chicken and tuna salad
club sandwiches
banana splits
peanut butter and jelly
s'mores
coleslaw
crab cakes
jalapeño poppers
buffalo wings and hot sauce
grilled foods from a backyard barbecue (okay, maybe we co-own this with the Australians)
corn on the cob with butter and salt
buttered and flavored popcorns (white cheddar anyone?)
banana/pumpkin/zucchini bread
pumpkin pie
grilled cheese with American cheese (don't act like you didn't eat this as a kid, no matter how much the thought of American cheese grosses you out now. Also, if the thought of American cheese doesn't gross you out as an adult, you should do some soul-searching.)
macaroni and cheese
cranberry anything
anything with a chocolate and peanut butter combination
baked beans
caesar salads
eggs benedict



Now, I'm not saying we own this stuff exclusively or that other people don't eat it. But it's all definitely part of our American cuisine. And yes, such a thing does exist.

Whew, glad to have that off my chest.

I feel cleansed.


   
Tweet It! Facebook

12 comments:

  1. Don't forget Moonpies and RC Cola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post deserves a standing ovation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I've been following for a while but this is my first time commenting. Love love love your blog! I was a fellow Auxiliar last year in Galicia, but now I'm in Puerto Rico. I get this question all the time too, and for some reason it really offends me! I had a fellow teacher one time tell me flat out (she'd never been to the US, mind you) "Americans eat terrible, your food is bad." And no matter what I tried to tell her she was so stuck in her ways. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Cory - would you believe I've never had a moonpie? I know, it needs remedy-ing. But RC Cola, yes please.

    Shana - it needed to be said, didn't it?

    @Ashlee - thanks for commenting! I'm always sort of offended by it too! Especially when they continue to INSIST that Americans eat garbage, even after my denials. Punks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade chicken pot pie anyone? How about bean dip?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like almost anything we eat at Thanksgiving could be on this list. But AMEN for sure, I'm so sick of hearing this kind of stuff too, as well as how our cuisine is the worst, or doesn't exist. If I hear "the Mediterranean diet is the best in the world and the American diet sucks" one more time, I might scream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicken pot pie and Thanksgiving food...okay, I'm getting on a plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can smell the pumpkin cheesecake baking....or is it key lime? Oh, the difficult decisions of life... You can come home now :-)

      Delete
  8. Restaurant Bruges

    what a amazing and such a fantastic post i really love it a lot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silver Jewelry Jaipur
    what a fun and really a amazing post i love this post a lot

    ReplyDelete
  10. finance managment tips
    awesome and really a fantastic post thank you so much for sharing this with us

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?