Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Stop and listen to the music

Flamenco-016.jpg

Do you ever have those moments in your life when you wish you could reach out and grasp the whole thing, just to scoop it up and bottle it for later? Then, in a darker, rainier season of life, you could open the bottle and let the essence of your summer invade the gloom of autumn.

I had one of those moments the other evening. The Mister and I had been out having tapas with some friends, and we were walking home in the warm flood of the streetlights.

We were just passing by the cathedral and it was all lit up like a candle in the night. We heard him before we saw him - a street musician, sitting quietly with his head bowed over his guitar, playing notes so luxurious and rich that it was almost impossible to think there was only one set of hands playing. He opened his mouth and started singing, and we slowed to a stop, awed into stillness.

His voice rippled over the notes like water flowing over river rocks. It was deep and rich, a perfect symphony of sound. It was stunning.

The Mister and I marvelled. He tugged on my hand and pulled me toward a set of steps, and we sat there, in shadow, listening and watching. It was at this point that I wanted to bottle the memory, every part of it: the angel voice and the quiet song; the feel of The Mister's strong hand in mine; the chilly winter night with the warm pool of the streetlights; the feeling of gratefulness for it all. I never want to forget it. Any of it.

When the song was finished, the player bowed his head over his guitar again. The quiet tinkling of a nearby fountain sounded like muted applause for the player's song.

Wordlessly, The Mister and I started clapping. We were joined by several other passersby, people like us who had been going about their rather ordinary evening before the unexpected gift of beauty stopped them for a moment and made them take it all in.

The player looked at us in suprise. He had been so involved in his song that he hadn't noticed us.  He smiled at us.

It was perfect.

  


Tweet It! Facebook

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Miss those moments....they seem to happen so frequently while traveling <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautifully written! From your descriptions alone I can visualize the street and the sounds, and I can imagine walking down that street in your place. Just imagine if you had walked down different street, or you had left your friends just five minutes earlier or later — you would have missed this wonderful, perfect moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. Wonderful description of being totally present and in the moment. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so beautiful, I closed my eyes and pictured myself being there. Gee, so many times I just rush by there so I can get to the Alameda to catch the bus. Thanks for making me slow down via this post. It is moments like this that make me fall in love with Malaga and travel all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this very special experience. Moments to treasure for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?