Friday, October 16, 2009

Warning: Major Geek Alert


Last night The Mister and I finished A Briefer History of Time (yeah, we went for the condensed version. You wanna make somethin' of it?). We got two copies from the library so we could read it together, because a book that complex requires two people to sort it all out. In our household, anyway.



So I am amazed - seriously astounded - at how brilliant thinkers like Einstein were. I mean, warped space-time? Time as fluid, relative concept instead of a measurable absolute? Gravity...the amount of things this man does with gravity is like the amount of dishes Emeril can make using only his own mass-marketed seasonings. Endless.



I can barely grasp these ideas, much less actually sit around and cook them up. Who thinks of stuff like this?! (Maybe his mom listened to a lot of Mozart while he was in utero?). If it were up to me, we probably wouldn't have even invented the wheel yet, much less got really cranking on ideas like supermassive black holes, and the curved fabric of space. (What? I don't even know what I just typed).



Anyway, my brain is worn out. But, if you're ever looking for a really awesome read, check it out. And then call me and I'll come over and we'll have some coffee while we try to figure out one-tenth of what any of it really is.



But you know what? Reading that book was EXHILARATING!

Tweet It! Facebook

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't even fathom tackling such a project. I had enough of a time figuring out those Pulse books! You're gonna be so smart, you won't want to associate with a dunderhead like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my major problem with astronomy (aside from the math)...the concepts were so decontextualized that I couldn't wrap my average IQ-ed mind around them.

    You've inspired me to pick back up my half-finished Carl Sagan book and give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried listening to this via audiobook during a road trip - an overnight road trip. I thought it might help keep me alert. It...did not. I almost veered off into a ditch because I was concentrating so hard. Great stuff though huh? You're now in the geek minor leagues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen to Jacob's Public Service Announcement, folks: This book is not, I repeat, NOT to be listened to on audio book in a dark car. Over and out.

    Haha seriously, there were times I needed to put down the book for like 10 minutes and stare into space while I tried to mentally imagine some of these concepts. It's probably one of the dorkiest activities possible.

    @Christie: pick up that Carl Sagan book! Tell me how it is!

    @Anrea: Never!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?