Tuesday, October 13, 2009

(Cheerful) Food Rules to Live By

Michael Pollan's 20 Favorite Food Rules to Live By were published recently. I love love love them. I sort of love Michael Pollan too. He makes me want to eat alfalfa sprouts and pear sandwiches and lots of fresh squash. Anyway, the "rules": they make me laugh, and they are quite sensical as a bonus. A few of my favorites:




and my very, very favorite of all:

"Today the average American spends a mere 27 minutes a day on food preparation (another four minutes cleaning up); that’s less than half the time that we spent cooking and cleaning up when Julia Child arrived on our television screens. It’s also less than half the time it takes to watch a single episode of “Top Chef” or “Chopped” or “The Next Food Network Star.” What this suggests is that a great many Americans are spending considerably more time watching images of cooking on television than they are cooking themselves — an increasingly archaic activity they will tell you they no longer have the time for.

What is wrong with this picture?"

- Michael Pollan, my love
Tweet It! Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I read the rules the other day, too. Fun and interesting. I also liked the one about eating breakfast alone, sharing lunch and giving dinner to someone who is hungry....

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what should be said, rather than "I don't have the time to cook", should be "I'm too lazy to cook". At least then we could claim some honesty.

    Love the apple quote, too. You could replace that with any number of uncooked fruits or vegetables.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?