Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Thoughts on leaving Spain: Going out on top

Nerja Beach-036.jpg


Leaving Spain is such a strange sensation. It isn't like a normal moving day, where you know you can come back and visit on occasion. I hope to come back one day of course, but it won't happen for a long, long time, and quite possibly not ever. These friendships will be stretched and wrung out under the strains of time and distance and cultural divergences and an ever-widening language barrier as my Spanish, inevitably, slowly leaks out of my brain. I will do everything I can to bridge these gaps, but I am not superhuman and the task will be impossible forever.

Part of me, I'll be honest, longs to go. I am American, and I hear the call of home. I'm yearning for absolute fluency in communication and cultural matters, Thai food, the sounds of an ice cream truck, salsa, buffalo wings, texts from my sisters, cultural cues to help me remember holidays, homes of family members in which to celebrate them in. I miss football (the real kind), Thanksgiving, cornbread, flavored coffee creamers, handshakes instead of cheek kisses, Fahrenheit. I miss fitting in and I miss modern small comforts – dishwashers, dryers, central heating and AC, carpeted floors. I miss being able to pick up the phone and call my mom without first subtracting nine hours to figure out if she's awake yet.

But oh, how I will smile when I look back on this season in Spain, and how nostalgic I will be for it after it ends. I know I sometimes talk about Spain on this blog as if it is all a never ending string of sunny days, good food and funny cultural experiences, but the truth is that for us, it really has been such a happy time and those will be my memories.

I know, though, that prolonging our time here for another year would rub off some of the magic. Things that seemed charming to us two years ago ("they never seem to be in a hurry! they really know how to enjoy life!") have slowly and perhaps inevitably morphed into frustration ("I have been waiting for twenty minutes for the check because the waitress is at the next table finishing her coffee. Just because she isn't in a hurry doesn't mean none of us can be in a hurry.)

My sister Emily asked me recently how I felt about leaving and I told her I didn't know exactly, that I felt a blend of excitement and happiness and nostalgia and loss. "Well," she told me, "it sounds like you're leaving at exactly the right time then. Not too soon and not too late."

And you know, I am pretty sure she was right.




Tweet It! Facebook

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're leaving! Sniff! Even though we only met once in person, I loved hearing you and R's story and how much you enjoyed your time here. I always said to myself I'd know when Spain was getting to waring on me, or I'd get a clear signal when it's time to leave. Hope to stay in touch!

    Big besos, Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Will you continue the blog? I hope so!

    (By the way, I STILL have not had your photo printed. But I've finally found a source - I think - that will print it how I want. I'll keep you posted!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, beautifully written. funny, now that I'm approaching the end of my working life and looking towards retirement, I am anxious to go back to Spain more than ever. Retirement cannot come soon enough! Thanks for all the fun posts about your time in Spain. They are educational and most enjoyable. Best of luck with your move to Boston. I hope you keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Oops, yeesh. Something weird was happening with my computer and these comments weren't showing up. But of course now they are. Feel free to delete. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks guys! We all have our seasons of life, and it's definitely always a good thing to know when it's time to go and it's time to stay. It's still tough to transition though!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?