Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hasta luego, España

Extremadura-181.jpg

Tomorrow morning we'll be getting on the plane and leaving this lovely place.  I'm sad that the adventure is over but I'm also already excited about the next one. Also, I'm excited to sink my teeth into a Chipotle burrito. And to not have to wake up every morning and check the paper to make sure the currency in my wallet is still worth something.

I'll miss the fruit market, and fresh persimmons, and paella and Manchego cheese. I'll miss Claire and my friends, my students at school and their grubby adoring little hugs. I'll miss the beach being outside my front door, and I'll miss the nighttime walks along the waves with The Mister. I'll miss the everlasting sunny weather and siesta and the way the shops are closed on Sundays.

But after all the adventures over the last two years, after Italy and Jordan and France and Scotland and Ireland and Morocco and Portugal and Sweden and all the rest, I have come to this timeless conclusion:

There's no place like home.





Tweet It! Facebook

4 comments:

  1. Sad to see you go (and to go myself), but we seem to have similar feelings about this whole leaving thing. Good luck with your next adventure! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a Chipotle in Harvard Square, enjoy! And it's too bad our paths never crossed in Europe. Hopefully there will be a chance to meet up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don´t know how to respond to this entry.

    I mean, you wrote "I´ll miss Claire and my friends..."

    I know we disagreed sometimes about Kindle vs. paper books, but I thought we were at least friends. All those long nights in the storage room at Gredos and that Swedish sauna escape meant nothing to you? That time we almost killed a full-grown German using only TACOS? DELICIOUS TACOS? After all that I´ve given you? After TWO YEARS and you don´t even think we are FRIENDS?



    ...I´ve been living a lie.


    (miss you)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this a bit ago and have been thinking about how to word this response. Spain addict that I am, I found your blog somehow on the intertubes and I've really enjoyed following you during the last half of your time in Spain(as well as reading some archives). I have a slightly different take on the "there's no place like home" thang since I have moved around quite a bit in my life. I remember feeling like that when I was a junior in college living in Madrid. Oh, I had plenty of fun that year but oh, so homesick!! Now that it's over 30 years later, well, to me home is where your heart is. Although I am happy with my life (happily married, with 12 year old daughter), I too am anxious for my next adventure: retiring to Spain (which you already know). It's still a few years off but we'll need that time to prepare I guess. I can't shake the feeling that Spain is where I belong. Luckily my hubby also loves Spain enough to want to retire there with me :)

    Thanks again and you'll likely see me perusing the archives here, Spain addict that I am. Best of luck to you both!! I know you will do well.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?