Wednesday, May 9, 2012

You might be a mental horny


The fad right now in my school is a book of English translations to Spanish colloquial expressions. It's been making the rounds in the teacher's lounge during recess, and my coworkers have been studying up.

The problem, and it's a big one, is that -- you know what? I'll just go ahead and show you:


Untitled

Untitled

The problem is that they are completely, totally wrong. After a few of them tried some of these on me (I looked at them blankly), I demanded to see the book. And you know what I found? The book is meant to be a joke. But the introduction and the title of the book, which make it clear that it's supposed to be funny and not serious, is in English.

So they can't read the disclaimer, essentially, and they think it's a dictionary. And they're walking around saying things like "shut up, polliwog!" and "he's an inksucker" with straight faces.

I told them it was a joke, but I don't think they really believed me. They keep saying these things, and I keep trying and failing to maintain some level of personal dignity because I'm laughing too hard.

Who knows? Maybe all my laughing means that I'm really just a mental horny.






Tweet It! Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! Just discovered it! And I love this post!! I can totally relate - over the last few years of being here, I've come across so many expressions like these! This gave me a good laugh - thanks for sharing!! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?