Monday, August 10, 2009

How Many Selves Do You Have?

I’d like to write beautiful, wistful, nostalgic prose.
But I’d also just like to write about what makes me laugh.


I’d like to be at a Jay-Z concert.
But I’d also love to be in the presence of Yo-Yo Ma.


I’d love to be a classy, minimalist decorator.
I also think a home should be a living, breathing thing that is bursting with life and love and color and messiness and good fun.


I’d like to be able to make killer hummus, homemade granola, and fresh salad dressings.
But I’d also like to make killer biscuits and gravy.


I believe in God.
But some days I believe less than others.


I want to be one of those people who always know where I’m going and why.
But I kind of like not knowing.


I’d like to have a to-do list to keep me efficient, which is neatly checked off by the end of the day.
But I also like not having my worth tied to how much I produce.


I love good literature like Pride and Prejudice.
But I liked Twilight too.


I like sunshine and palm trees.
But I also love rainy days and the smell of evergreens.


They say that an understanding and appreciation of the benefits of complexity and diversity are what is going to keep the world going and society moving.


I say that we each have a little complexity and diversity in ourselves - within our own internal community – all of our “selves” that are different yet the same, fragments and yet wholes.
Tweet It! Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post. I've felt this way so many times, that there's more to me than just one side, so many "mes" and they all feel right on any given day - even if it's the opposite of the way I felt the day before. Thank you for writing it all down so beautifully, my beautiful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you capture the complexities of being eclectic... diverse... moody... and wonderful! the descriptors are different, but the ironies and ambiguities are the same...

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?