Sunday, August 10, 2008

Snakes and Crocs and Turkeys (Oh My!)


A few days ago we took a trip to the Musée Vivant - which, despite its lofty title, is more or less a collection of animals in a yard.  But it was neat, although there were too many snakes for my taste.  I hate snakes.  And now I have been dreaming about spitting cobras and strangle-happy pythons.  But anyway.  Thought you all might enjoy some pics!


Um. Eww.  Our friend Brandon the Tree Planter and our housemate Grace are nice people, but...this makes me suspicious of them. This one is HUGE.



You think you're so tough?



Check out the jaws on this thing.



Hey good lookin'...you look tasty.  I will see you at Thanksgiving.


In a bit of a random move, the owners of Musée Vivant thought that the one thing that could enhance their snake house was...a mockup of a traditional Burundian village!  And I agree with that choice.

Here I am contemplating the meaning of life.  Apparently squatting next to a traditional African hut is a great place to contemplate the meaning of life.  You should try it sometime.  I myself had a sudden flash of insight regarding modified Newtonian dynamics and the nonlinear field strength of gravity.



Now what the heck is this?  Ahh...a beehive holder...honey....I get it!  I'd like some honey right about now.  And some Honey Nut Cheerios. With some cinnamon on top.  Oops, tangent.



Like the shameless carnivores that we are, we topped off our day of wildlife viewing with some deliciously tender frog legs.  With lots of garlic and butter. And we all know that everything tastes pretty good when bathed in garlic and butter.  Now don't be grossed out by our amphibious cravings - trust me, these babies will make your heart sing.  When we were leaving the restaurant we heard them croaking in the grass behind the parking lot.  Doesn't get any fresher than that!  Trés bien!

(By the way, all those who are acquainted with Ron the Former Picky Eater's eating habits, rejoice - our boy chowed down on the frog legs without batting an eyelash.  He also ate a raw tomato the other day with only salt and pepper on it.  And he has been known to sneak chunks of pineapple.  I know, I know - pick yourself up off your chair, Mom G)

Tweet It! Facebook

2 comments:

  1. why do frog arms get left out? What do they do with the other half of the frog?

    you guys look fantastic! BUT you need to get home before you lose anymore weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm okay with the tomatoes and pineapples -- congratulations on joining those of us with taste. And some will be provided upon your return to the east coast of the western world. But the frog legs... I have looked at the picture many times and still having trouble with that one. Think I'll leave our local peepers intact this time around...

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Por favor?